"The greatest mystery is not that we have been flung at random between the profusion of matter and of the stars, but that within that prison we can draw from ourselves images powerful enough to deny our nothingness." Andre Malraux


06 September, 2010

And like a Phoenix rising from the ashes...

Yes, it's been rolling around in the back of my head for a while, but it's time to re-launch this thing. Summer of 2010 is, alas, behind us, and it's as good a time as any to bring the blog back to benconrad.com. (I've also re-designed the site, for what it's worth.)

So unlike my last rather unfocused attempt at a blog, this one will serve basically one purpose: to introduce artists whom I have recently discovered. They may have been your favorite painter/singer/author/whatever for decades, but if they're new to me, they're fair game. I'll also sometimes write mini-reviews of shows I've seen or relevant news about myself, but I'll try to keep the focus tight on the newbies.

To wit, one photographer and one movie/filmmaker who have recently caught my attention:

Valérie Belin: I caught this French photographer's show at Sikkema Jenkins before they closed for the summer. She has a series of creepy portraits of live human beings who are made to look eerily manequin-like. Interestingly, she chose to juxtapose these portraits with lush color photographs of still lives (mostly fruit) that pulsed with life, taking life from the living and bestowing it to the non-living.



Ink, written & directed by Jamin Wayans: I stumbled across the preview for this movie (see below) on some random DVD & thought it looked interesting. I enjoyed it so much that now I've become obsessed by the fact that nobody has heard of it. It doesn't even have enough reviews on rottentomatoes to warrant a rating, but one of the few there calls it "absolutely one of the best movies of 2009." I couldn't agree more. You owe it to yourself to check this one out. (It's available to watch instantly on Netflix, btw.)



Winans also wrote the haunting score & did most of the special effects himself. Clearly he's one towatch.

See, short & sweet. I'm a blogger who cares about my readers' busy, busy schedules. Thanks for droppin' by....

1 comment:

  1. Where's the like button, so your busy readers don't have to even take the time to comment?  LMAO, since I can't do LOL any more.

    ReplyDelete