"The greatest mystery is not that we have been flung at random between the profusion of matter and of the stars, but that within that prison we can draw from ourselves images powerful enough to deny our nothingness." Andre Malraux


06 October, 2010

Meow Meow

I've been called a party pooper & worse by pretty much everyone I know for my insistence on not going out during the week (honestly, who has the energy?), but this week I was compelled by a certain someone to go on a (sigh) Tuesday night to see a mystery person, place or thing called Meow Meow at Joe's Pub. I pictured some Japanese girl band, which would have been fine, I'm sure, but I was even more pleasantly surprised by what was actually on stage.

Meow Meow probably has to be seen to be fully understood, so hopefully the clips below will help. Part lounge chanteuse, part stand-up comic, part performance artist, definitely informed by burlesque, yet somehow none of the above...I can't remember the last time someone stood out so fully & exquisitely from what's come before. A quote from Time Out New York on her website says she "drags cabaret kicking and screaming into the 21st century." Yeah, pretty much. I laughed a lot at her big, bawdy broad schtick, but she also leaves plenty of room for delicate, even sad, moments of spine-tingling beauty.

New York Press actually has a (frustratingly brief) interview with her on today's blog, which is worth checking out. Now check her out in action:





And here's a short film she's in, if you have another minute:

No comments:

Post a Comment