"The greatest mystery is not that we have been flung at random between the profusion of matter and of the stars, but that within that prison we can draw from ourselves images powerful enough to deny our nothingness." Andre Malraux


26 December, 2010

Krisjanis Kaktins-Gorsline

I have some resistance to posting artists whose work I've only encountered online, probably because the experience of seeing it in person is frequently so different. With the amount of time I spend trolling galleries & artists' sites online, though, I suppose I need to relax that approach. (Also being snowed in during the storm of the century right now has me thinking about how to do things remotely.)

To wit, I ran across Toronto-based [oops! Winnipeg -- see comments] artist Krisjanis Kaktins-Gorsline's work online recently, & was completely captivated. He's got a borderline surrealist bent, but I see more in common with Francis Bacon than anybody else (if comparisons must be made). He also straddles the line between representation & abstraction, which is an approach I generally respond to. Scroll down for a few random samples, but check out more of his paintings at the link above & also here. If I ever go to Toronto, provided either it or my own city ever thaws, hopefully I can see some of these pieces in person.

Also, if you're in the NYC area, run, don't walk, to the Park Avenue Armory to check out Peter Greenaway's installation Leonardo's Last Supper. It's difficult to describe, but he find a way to use multi-media & new technology to breathe (really) new life into Da Vinci's The Last Supper & Veronese's Wedding at Cana. I'm a big fan of Greenaway's films & don't imagine I would have found my way to this exhibit otherwise, but even if you've never heard of him, just trust me: GO! (But hurry, it closes Jan. 6th.)









1 comment: