"The greatest mystery is not that we have been flung at random between the profusion of matter and of the stars, but that within that prison we can draw from ourselves images powerful enough to deny our nothingness." Andre Malraux


09 April, 2011

Hi-Fructose

My search for the "perfect" art magazine (no, I can't define it, but I'm sure I'll know it when/if I see it) continues, but I was happy to stumble across v. 18 of the left coast-centric Hi-Fructose recently. Its concentration seems to be "lowbrow" artists (anybody else find that moniker patronizing?), which is an aesthetic I find myself responding to more & more. The articles are occasionally too cheerleading for my taste, more like an In Style profile of Julia Roberts than a serious discussion of an artist, but that's a minor gripe.

Be sure to check out their blog, which I really shouldn't link to since it makes mine feel completely irrelevant, but there you go. Already I learned from it that Mark Ryden & Marion Peck are a married couple, which makes so much sense yet also blows my mind a little bit.

Favorite artist I was introduced to in this issue...

Tim Biskup, who blurs the lines between fine art, design & cartoons in an absolutely delicious way. I guess that's the whole idea of lowbrow. Not surprisingly, he started his a career as an animator. Check out some more of his stuff:





No comments:

Post a Comment