"The greatest mystery is not that we have been flung at random between the profusion of matter and of the stars, but that within that prison we can draw from ourselves images powerful enough to deny our nothingness." Andre Malraux


14 May, 2011

Colette Calascione

What do you get when you cross a 16th century Florentine portraitist, an early 20th century carnie, & Remedios Varo? Colette Calascione, apparently. I was actually a little surprised to learn she is an American artist; there's a slight whiff of the foreign in her work, & I mean that in a good way. I'm a sucker for realism & symbolism (& have perhaps been focusing on them too much recently, but hey, it's my blog), but even taking that prejudice into account, she clearly knows her way around an oil palette. Here a few of my favorite pieces:


Lorelei (2001)


Dream of the Hungry Ghost (2003)


Denial (2005)


UPDATE: Just found a great youtube video of some more of Calascione's work. (Full disclosure: I can't take any credit for it, since I ran across it on el fantastico blog Tocay@s....)

1 comment:

  1. Like Like. Love the first two. Love the Octopus on her head. (Do you think she sets that thing with hot curlers or kind words?)

    ReplyDelete